GoPro Miniaturise Their Hero
Posted on Jul 6, 2015 by Julian Mitchell
GoPro has launched yet another camera keeping version 5 watchers waiting a little bit longer. Their HERO4 Session is by far their smallest and lightest model yet, in fact 50% smaller and 40% lighter and maybe 100% simpler than the HERO Black and Silver cameras with a one button control on top of the cube shaped device.
HERO4 Session also does away with a separate waterproof housing but is compatible with existing GoPro mounts and will retail for a relatively expensive $399.99 MSRP at GoPro retailers around the world and on GoPro.com beginning July 12.
“With HERO4 Session, we challenged ourselves to produce the smallest, lightest, most convenient GoPro possible,” said Nicholas Woodman, GoPro founder and CEO. “HERO4 Session combines the best of our engineering and user-experience know-how to deliver our most convenient life-capture solution, yet.” Woodman adds, “I’m so excited about the launch of HERO4 Session because now I can finally use mine in public!”
The HERO Session with the new ‘Floaty’ cover, a must for shooting in water.
HERO4 Session captures 1080p60, 720p100 and 1440p30 video along with eight megapixel photos in Single, Burst and Time Lapse modes. Including is SuperView, Protune and Auto Low Light recording modes. An expanded set of controls and settings can be accessed when using the GoPro App or Smart Remote.
To operating HERO4 Session you short press the shutter button which powers the camera on and video recording begins automatically. A long press of the shutter button powers the camera on and triggers Time Lapse photo capture. Press the shutter button again to save video or photo content and power the camera off.
HERO4 Session is is waterproof to 33 feet (10m). A dual microphone system switches sound recording between microphones to reduce wind noise during activities. Audio performance during water-based activities has been improved thanks to HERO4 Session’s waterproof design that eliminates the need for a separate waterhousing, which can often muffle sounds.
One of the new GoPro mounts also launched this week, this one straps to your body.
“At GoPro, sound quality is as important as image quality and we’re very excited about the audio advancements we’ve made with HERO4 Session during water-based and windy activities. It’s incredible what this little GoPro can capture,” remarked Woodman.
HERO4 Session Features.
- 1080p60, 720p100, and 1440p30 video
- Waterproof to 33′ (10m), no separate housing required
- Easy one-button control: short press of shutter powers camera on and begins capturing video, long shutter button press powers camera on and begins capturing time-lapse photos
- Captures 8MP Single, Burst, and Time Lapse photos
- Compatible with GoPro mounts and accessories
- Dual Mic system captures enhanced audio during high wind and water-based activities
- Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth® enable easy connectivity to GoPro App and Smart Remote
- Auto image rotation corrects image orientation during recording
- Includes standard and low-profile frame mounts for increased mounting versatility
- New Ball Joint Buckle mount is included